Monday, November 26, 2007

No Country for Old Men

Two weeks ago I went with my son Caleb, to see “No Country for Old Men”. We had both read the book by Cormac McCarthy and were really looking forward to seeing the film presentation.

Cormac, what has happened to our Southwest? When and how did the border area get so violent and brutal? I remember the “old days” starting for me, in the 1940’s when workers, cowboys, household help flowed easily across the border for seasonal work. If “Juan” couldn’t make it this year he would send a nephew or cousin. This was an informal relationship, taken as a serious commitment. It kept a lot of ranchers on their little spreads in Santa Cruz County, Arizona when the hard physical labor was too much for their old bodies. It also kept a lot of families south of the border solvent while they waited for the harvest.

We always knew there was “Reefer” in Nogales but no one was being killed over it. Demand was low.

It was the drugs that changed everything. “Mules” carrying backpacks loaded with fifty to sixty pounds of contraband are being attacked and killed on the familiar trails north. The killers make off with the drugs. The money in the drug trade attracted criminals with other agenda. “Coyotes” started praying on border crossers. The combination of poverty and anti-social personality makes for a volatile mix.

Cormac, your story is electrifying. The acting and direction of the movie is exceptional. I think you contrast the old timers with the new criminals in a way that leaves the viewer confused and reeling. I sat there transfixed, scratching my head and pulling my hair out. Caleb turned to me at one point and said, “Mom, stop that.”

I looked at the familiar beautiful range country. Met the “old timers” and felt transported to an earlier more gentle time only to be confronted by the scourge of the Devil Incarnate with his air gun.

It is all very scary.

No comments: